Great Pattern - Intermediate Skill Level
I made the beige hat (in felt and grosgrain ribbon) and found it relatively easy.
Some points to note for improved construction
1. Don't follow the number sequence suggested in the instructions. This is a commonly suggested method for 6 piece crowns and it is messy.
Instead piece the 3 front pieces together, then piece the 3 back pieces AND THEN join with one continue centre seam ear to ear. Much simpler and it creates a professional look every time.
2. Do test this with a muslin first. Very important.
3. 2 1/2 inch ribbon isn't wide enough for the brim insert. 3 1/2 inches would just about be right. I stitched 3 x 1 inch pieces and it was slighty too small.
4. Use 100% wool felt, not acrylic, and not rayon. The results are worth the extra expense.
5. There is not pattern or instruction on how to line this hat. I just used the pattern for the crown and sewed it along the "fold" line so that it didn't have the extra fold that the external part of the hat has.
6. Have patience. This pattern looks great when it's complete.
Reviewed by: (Verified Buyer) Kate Ferrett from Queensland, Australia.